Thursday, January 27, 2011

Beautiful Beasts and Mileage

The other day I was driving to work listening to the radio, and I heard about a contest they were holding.  If participants would send in a photograph of themselves and a pet, they had the opportunity to win free tickets to see "Beauty and the Beast" at the Von Braun Center and dinner for two at a place called Brix Wine and Tapas. I had no idea "Beauty and the Beast" was coming to Huntsville and I knew I wanted to see it.  It is my most favorite Disney Movie of all time...he gives her a library for Heaven's sake! I had no issue with purchasing the tickets myself, but if I could get them for free that would be even better. 

So, I went home and uploaded a picture of me and my "beast" to the radio station's website.  I then sent the link to all of my friends and family and asked them to vote for my picture. The three top photos with the most votes would win tickets. 


I found out on Monday that the Chancellor and I took third place.  I was so pumped!  This will be a FREE date night with my one true love (who may not be as excited as I am, but he is still sweetly willing to take me) to a new restaurant and the theater.  I feel so cultured.  Not to mention blessed by a bunch of fun friends in my life who humor my occasional nuttiness. 

Then, the next morning it will be time to hit the mileage.  The big 2-0.  I don't know why, but running that distance alone just seems...intimidating.  I realize I am training to run even more than that, but there is just something about stepping out your front door to run not 5, not even 10, but 20 miles!  I may have a friend to join me for the first 12 and that will help me break it up nicely, but she has made me promise to run on if I need to hold a faster pace.  I think it is this pace I want to hold that influences my feelings of intimidation.  I would like to hold it under 9 minute pace.  I do not think I have EVER completed a long training run at this pace.  It would not only help me to be physically ready for a PR marathon, but it would help me mentally believe I can do it. 

So I've got a fun and full weekend ahead.  As for the beast who helped me win the contest, he will be content to nap on his warm bed for most of it. 

4 comments:

  1. Have fun and I can't wait to hear about it! Looking good for Saturday and not too early is a good possibility :) I'll know for sure tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you get to see "Beauty and the Beast" and excited to read about your 20-miler! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your 20 miler went great! I look forward to reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The good thing about getting behind in reading my favorite blogs is that I get to find out what happens next much faster than if I had read the posts in real time!!! :D SO glad you got to see the play. I don't know yet that you DID do the 20 miler holding a 9:00 pace, but I certainly KNOW you CAN! :D

    ReplyDelete