Tuesday, March 1, 2011

On the Road Again

I find it difficult to remain goal-less.  I don't mind setting long term goals that take several months to work toward, and sometimes right after a big event I remain without a goal in order to fully recover.  But always in my mind resides the constant question asking what is next. I don't mind waiting for it, but I like knowing what it will be. I'm not sure what it is about myself or human nature that constantly seeks that.  Maybe because I simply enjoy it or maybe there is some hole of deficiency in life that I seek to fill...either way, I have yet to find a reason to stop.

I basked in my marathon PR until Dad's accident and then I was distracted by that and nothing else seemed to matter.  Now that he is home and on the mend, my mind returns to the course it was on.

What's next? 

Short term I have a half marathon this Sunday.  I am not sure what I will be able to do.  I'd love a PR and I intend to shoot for a 1:45, which would take 2 minutes off my current best.  I love half marathons, but to me they are somewhat tricky.  Still a long run so some conservation of energy seems needed, but not much.  Finding that balance for the 13.1 miles is harder for me to do and I find myself dropping pace around mile 10.  I have to admit that I rarely conserve in this race.  I just run.  As hard as I can as long as I can.  Maybe a new strategy is in order, but I'm not sure what it should be.  For now, I run them as well as I can, enjoying a longer run at a faster pace.

Long term I have another marathon planned for April.  Jason has helped me find a plan that should train me to shave off a few minutes from my 3:45.  Nothing overly dramatic, just some added speed work each week - something I can wrap my mind around. 

Longer term than that I am looking at a 40 miler on the ROAD in May.  I plan to train for this, using the half marathon for the marathon training and the marathon for the 40 mile training. However, if the weather forecast says it is going to be hot on the 40 mile day, I won't sign up.  I've run enough hot races in my time to know that is not for me.

For now that is it. Unless injury or weather or some other circumstance calls a halt, that is what I will be working toward as I run down the road. Again.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are back! That is so true about the half. I never know what pace to do the half at either. Isn't it 1/2 of your marathon time minus 20 minutes? Or 10? If so, the 1:45 sounds like a good pace for you to shoot for. And the marathon--which one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you can get that time this weekend! It will be nice for you to have a little break at the ocean!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I think it is half your marathon time minus 10 minutes... I think. :)

    I'm doing the Andrew Jackson marathon April 9. It will be Shannon's FIRST marathon and in her home town too. :)

    And I can't wait for time by that ocean!

    ReplyDelete