Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weekly Activity Report

Now that my focus has shifted somewhat from training for specific races to working on overall fitness and strength, I am getting to see just how unfit parts of me are!  What I mean is OUCH!  But in a good way.  I told Jason last night that while I do feel sore and creaky, I'm also left with a sense of accomplishment because that soreness means I've worked something not used to being worked.

Still, this week of new things has left me worn out!  I discovered that Bootcamp is way harder than running.  Instead of putting my legs on autopilot for a jaunt around the neighborhood, I'm asking my entire body to work and in different ways every few minutes.  I've also added swimming to the weekly activities in preparation for any upcoming triathlons I may want to enter (particularly Rocketman coming up in August), and since it has been so long, it doesn't take much to wear me out.

So, here is the weekly report.  My mileage has taken a big, fat dip in numbers, but that is okay.  The workouts have been good and fulfilling despite the fact that they do not all consist of making my weekly mileage numbers pretty.

Sunday - nada (drove home from Kentucky the day after 45 mile Tour de Cave)

Monday - Ran 10 miles

Tuesday - Bootcamp in the morning, yard mowing in the afternoon

Wednesday - Ran 7 miles in the morning, swam 30 minutes that afternoon

Thursday - Bootcamp

Friday - Ran 7 miles in the morning, swam 30 minutes that afternoon

Saturday - TBD

It doesn't look like much when I write it all down, but it sure felt like it!  When my head hit the pillow each night, I was OUT until that alarm went off the next morning signaling that it was time to get up and work it again.

This week I will be adding some bike rides on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons and hopefully keeping the swims on Mondays and Wednesdays.  I may add a lunch time swim if I want my afternoons free for something else.  That usually wakes me up and refreshes me in the middle of my day. 

As for today, Saturday, so far I'm resting.  I opted for coffee and quiet time instead of a morning run, and so that cancels out any hope of a run until much later in the afternoon due to these nice summer temps.  I may ride my bike instead.  Either way, I think a day of rest will rejuvenate me to hit it hard again next week.  Maybe even a little harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment