Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Random Bits About Running and Pregnancy

In the first two months of pregnancy I spent my time gazing at the calendar and trying not to worry about every little thing that could go wrong.  I prayed about this a lot.  Could it be that God's answer after that wonderful day of hearing the heartbeat was to keep me so busy that I had no time to worry and calendar watch?  I don't pretend to understand God's ways, but lets just say I have not been sitting around and worrying.  I'd like to think part of that is the building of a stronger faith - putting my trust in God into practice every day like I'd planned.  But I think part of it is plain old distraction.

My weeks literally FLY by.  I go to work from 8-5 and follow that with a client session, Just Run It, or my Essentials of Personal Training class which are all things I enjoy thoroughly and usually make up my favorite part of each day.  The only night I go straight home after work is Friday... for now.  Whenever I can, I hit up the grocery store so that Jason, me and the wee one have nutritious options for lunch and dinner. You would think this would be easy, but it isn't. Because throwing in a grocery store visit without forethought or a list means I buy things we already have and forget the bananas and milk.

I squeeze in a run whenever I can and I find myself grateful for even a few blissful miles no matter how I get them or what the pace might be.  The other day I was actually excited that my hair appointment got cancelled opening up a 2 hour span of time for me to get home, get on my running digs and get in 5 miles before class. 

And when I'm not doing all that, I'm sleeping the sleep of a dead woman.  I go to bed around 8:30 most nights and I'm asleep within minutes.  Even so, I only sleep until 3 or 4 a.m. when I wake up to use the bathroom...which is a constant activity these days.  I've started planning my running routes to take me near a restroom around mile 4 because I know I won't be able to make 5 or 6 miles without a pit stop (and I still have to go when I get home). It is sort of annoying, but then I remember the reason for all these pit stops and I don't really mind.

My belly is slo o o o wly growing.  The bump watch continues every morning and I'm just now starting to see it stick out where it did not before.  Even if it weirds me out a little, it is still kind of cool to watch.  I'm still wearing my non-training clothes, which are the clothes that fit when I'm not marathon and ultra training.  This is promising since I'm trying to wait on the maternity clothes until the weather turns warmer and stays that way.  It has sort of become a game lately to see how long I can hold out.  I saw a cute maternity top in Target the other night and almost bought it... but I knew I wasn't ready to wear it and I wanted to see how long I could go before I had to purchase something.

I've had to learn to chill out a little when it comes to running.  I'm sort of in love with my running log and my mileage numbers, and it is sometimes hard to watch them drop so low and to still feel like I ran the usual amount.  My comfort is the little one growing inside, and it only takes a few moments for me to circle around to thinking about him or her before I give myself a break and let it be what it is. My weight gain is still in the healthy, appropriate range for my height, age and previous weight, so all is well on that front. 

And that, my dear readers, is your update on the random bits about running and pregnancy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see when you start showing! Such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm starting to show now! I almost can't wear my pants. I think I may go this week and get one of those bands that let you wear your pants unbuttoned. :)

    ReplyDelete