Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Adjusting My Goals

We've had several days of cold, rainy weather and when I say rainy I mean it literally hasn't stopped in four days.  And it isn't the nice warm rain I can run in, it is in the 30s!  Other than putting a kink in my training plan, it has actually been kind of cozy.  I love hearing the rain on the roof, and what better way to spend such days than with a warm, sweet baby and a warm, sweet cup of coffee or two?  Okay three.  So I haven't minded other than looking at the weeks leading up to my half-marathon and thinking, "You want to finish in what time, exactly...?"

Yeah.  I'm all about conquering challenges and doing more than you ever thought possible, but this new mom has got to be reasonable.  Here's what I'm thinking.  The Seaside half-marathon is probably not going to be a PR.  And surprisingly enough, I'm okay with that.  There is a new half in the area at the end of March and I could run that one for a PR (maybe). There is also a marathon at the end of April that Jason and I may do.  And while I do have to train for these distances, I don't have to PR.  I'm kind of pumped simply to be running these distances again and I want to sort of bask in that for a while.

Part of the reason I'm changing my mind on this is because of Eloise.  I want to enjoy every minute with her.  I don't want to spend those minutes worrying over my training plan.  Or my weekly mileage numbers.  Or the size of my pants.  I just want to enjoy being her mom.  I also want to enjoy running.  Yes, I'm going to train for that half-marathon, but I may adjust my goal a tad.  Do I think I can run a 1:40 half-marathon?  Yes I do.  I'm just not sure it can happen with only a month and a half of training left and I don't want to make myself crazy.  I want to enjoy Eloise and running, and I don't want to go nuts if I'm tired due to crazy nights with her or if the weather is unfavorable for a few days.

I'm still going to train for these upcoming races and let Jillian Michaels kick my butt for 30 days, but my focus has shifted just a bit and I'm cutting myself a little slack.  I've run two 10 milers and they were good but tough.  My easy runs are not quite at 9:00 pace and that is where they need to be (and feel easy).  I do think I can sharpen that pace some by March, but I'm not sure I can get to a 7:40 pace for 13.1 miles by then and that is what it would take for a 1:40 finish time.  I think I can get there, but I'm going to need more time than what I've allotted myself for this race.

So there you have it. Just making a little adjustment to my goals, and I'm happy with it for now.

1 comment:

  1. I have to remind myself that it isn't always about PRs. Supposedly I enjoy running for the sake of running, so I should just enjoy races sometimes. Thanks for helping me gain a little perspective!

    ReplyDelete