Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tuesday's Treat

Today's treat could be called Jane's Power Salad OR the Whatever-You-Have-in-the-Fridge Salad.  Last week I started giving the whole gluten free thing a try.  My only reason is that I believe it is going to help me with the last vestiges of baby fat in my belly region.  So until I purchased some gluten free bread, flour, etc., I was left with veggies and fruits and any non-wheat products in the house - not a bad thing!  So one afternoon I made myself a salad with whatever I had in the fridge and it turned out to be so delicious that I've eaten it four times since (which is about once a day).  Here are the ingredients:

  • baby spinach
  • avacado
  • 1 boiled egg
  • tomato
  • cheese (I used colby jack - my fave)
  • fresh pears (I always have some on hand to make Eloise pear compote)
  • walnuts and pecans (100 calorie bags I had in the pantry, although I don't add these if I know I'm going to want some pistachios later as a snack)
  • Newman's Own balsamic viniagrette
It might sounds strange or it might not, but this salad is DELISH!  All of those flavors go so well together and it is full of good things for this marathon training runner.  It is filling and sticks with me a while - probably because of the egg and avacado.  I bought the spinach for another recipe but have used half the bag already for this amazing salad.

After my 14 miler Saturday it is what I ate and it was fabulous.  What I wanted was a hamburger and french fries (I was reeeeeeeally hungry, having not eaten enough for the race or the 14 miles), but this salad was a much better choice.

If you want to make your own power salad, a good rule of thumb is to have lots of your favorite salad things on hand, hanging out in the fridge.  Or you could go out and get these exact ingredients and give mine a try.  I promise you it is fabulous!   Happy Tuessday!

No comments:

Post a Comment