Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sleepless Nights in Paradise

Since Eloise was born Jason has gone out of town for work twice and when he goes I head up to my parents' place for a bit of R and R.  I don't have to cook, I don't have to clean, I don't have to do laundry, I run whenever I want, not to mention I'm in a paradise of flowers, trees, bee buzzes and birdsong.  I also have the great company of my parents, a little help with Eloise, and the last time I went I had a wonderful time.  I figured this time would be the same.  And for the most part it was!  All except for the whole "rest" portion of my vacation. 

The first night, Eloise did fine but I had a cup of coffee around 4:00 pm and that was a mistake.  I still got about 5 hours of sleep and I can live on that.  The next night Eloise got up at midnight and 3:00 and 6:00. That was a little harder, but we managed.  The third night she got up EVERY HOUR except 3:00. When she finally got up at 5:30 I was almost relieved the night was over.  We awoke to a gray, rainy day and let me just say I don't think I did one useful thing (other than care for my daughter and return to my own home) all day long.  No running, I ate all day, put together some puzzles and existed in a stupor for most of the day.

That night Mom came home with me, and Eloise and I got to sleep in our own beds.  Well.  It was Heaven for both of us.  We both slept 11 lovely, much needed hours and I awoke this morning almost giddy.  I ran 10 of the most wonderful miles (except for the few I spent worrying about the state of my country and my daughter growing up in it), on the most glorious, cool morning under the bluest sky you've ever seen, managing an average pace of 8:46 per mile (fast for me at this point).  That's what a day off from running and 11 hours of sleep got me. 

Despite Eloise giving up sleep while we were at my parents' house, I still had a wonderful time.  I love hanging with my parents and being on their land.  Mom always has a pot of coffee ready whenever I want a cup, I have beautiful scenery all around me and a lovely route to run.  We saw my aunts while we were there, visited some nurseries for plants, ate at a local dive called The Chuckwagon, watched Dad catch and kill carpenter bees... among a ton of other fun and funny activities up there.  The only thing missing was Jason (and sleep) for the visit to be perfect. 

Jason comes home tonight and we are so glad to have him back.  I enjoy a little trip now and then, but after a day or two I am ready to come back to my little home, my little yard, my schedule with Eloise, my regular running routes - basically life as I know it.  It's a simple little life but I love it. 

Sitting on the porch

Helping Grandpod mow the yard

Dad using the "Stun and Stomp" method for killing carpenter bees

This little girl LOVES this man!


No comments:

Post a Comment