Monday, May 13, 2013

Running for Moms and Other Mother's Day Fun

May 12, 2013 was my very first Mother's Day and it was so much fun!  We started the weekend by traveling down to Montgomery where we ran the Agape Run for a Mom 5k.  My goal was to break my 24 minute post-baby time and I did it!  I finished in 23:40, placing send in my age group.  This was HARD but I hung in there.  Jason said I could do it and I chose to believe him.  I did a lot of visualizing and thinking about my training up to that point.  And then I ran and hung on for dear life!  My splits were 7:32, 7:35, 7:40.  I slowed with each mile but not nearly as much as I usually do!  So I'm pretty excited.

This is the third year Agape has put on this race.  My best friend of many years organizes it and I have wanted to get down there and support her efforts but every other year we've had a conflict.  This year we made it and I had such a wonderful time seeing her.  As I raced to the finish line trying to achieve my time and beat another girl who had just caught up to me, I saw her and heard her yelling my name... and I had no idea my legs could move so fast!

A hug right after I finished.

I ran for Granny, Ma, Sis and Me!

Jason won first overall, finishing in 17:58.
Jason and I headed home after the race Saturday.  We had a super sleepy baby girl and we wanted to capitalize on nap time in the car.  When we got home, I finished up my Mother's Day gifts for my mom and Jason's mom.  Eloise helped me.




We made butterfly flower pots with Eloise's feet!  I found this idea on Pinterest but all it had was a picture, no instructions.  So I got together with my sis and she talked to some more crafty friends of hers and we got the low down.  It took my sister holding Eloise, my niece distracting Eloise, and me painting her feet and sticking them on the pot, but we got it!  Not perfect, but I think that's what makes it special. 

For Mother's Day, Jason got me a blender and I cannot WAIT to start blending some smoothie/juice/salsa/homemade popsicle goodness and anything else I find to blend! 

All in all it was a WONDERFUL first Mother's Day!  It is such an honor and a blessing to be a mom and that was the feeling that permeated my very first one.

My crew on my first Mother's Day.

Two moms I love!  My own and my sis!

1 comment: