Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 Storms Out


I had planned to ring in the new year by racing my brains out in a 5k, getting a PR with just minutes to spare in 2010, winning a $100.00 gift certificate to Terrame, and then giving my husband a big kiss at midnight with the first ever ball drop in Huntsville, AL.  

Sounds great, right?  I thought so.  But it was not to be.  We got rained out...or maybe stormed out is the best way to put it. 

Around 10:45 Friday night, Jason and I drove across town to participate in the Terrame New Years Eve 5k, which would start at 11:30.  It was a pricey race to sign up for, but going to a great cause - the building of a park with a playground for the handicapped - and it was New Year's Eve after all, so we figured it was worth it.  It was raining pretty hard at our house when we left, but we figured (hoped) it would stop. I thought a run in the rain would be a fun adventure, so I was game no matter what.  My legs were ready to RACE, and I figured the cold rain would give me an edge.

The prize for the first 3 finishers in each age group was a $100.00 gift certificate to Terrame.  I was picturing a much needed eyebrow wax, and maybe a pedicure.  And I was ready to grit my teeth, dig deep and run for a PR and my uni-brow.

It was still pouring when we arrived.  We parked and sat in the car watching for people and trying to see where to go.  Eventually, Jason turned off the car and we made a dash for it, running through gigantic puddles in the parking lot and then across a muddy, slushy field to the start line.  Not quite half a mile, but not far off.  We got to the start line minutes before the race was to start.  I got my Garmin ready as Jason pinned on his race number and then it happened.  Lightning lit up the entire sky quickly followed by a loud clap of thunder. 

The race officials weren't messing around with that.  They quickly began encouraging runners to get inside, and Jason and I made the return dash to our car.  It was extremely windy and pouring rain as I grabbed Jason's hand, laughing and said, "Happy New Year, Babe!"  He stopped running and gave me a big kiss before we continued on to the car. 

We sat there a few minutes hoping, but the lightning kept coming so we eventually drove home.  We were soaked and a little disappointed not to race, but it had been a fun little excursion anyway.  We came home, took a hot shower and enjoyed some ice cream before falling into bed.  I had run 12 miles that morning, so once my rainy run adrenaline wore off, I began feeling the affects of the long day quickly. 

It wasn't the New Year's Eve I'd hoped for, but it wasn't too bad either.  I did get a kiss in the rain from the man I love most in the world so I really couldn't complain.  It has been an absolutely wonderful year and I look forward to the crazy adventures and experiences Jason and I may run into in 2011 (pun intended).

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, it sounds like it worked out in the end. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete