Monday, June 20, 2011

Another Week of Workin' It

And I am already yawning my face off.  But that's okay I suppose. My week is off to an okay start, even if I did need some Hershey kisses, a Sundrop and another cup of coffee to get me through today.

First, a recap.  I ended up getting those 40 miles I wanted last week out of my 5 running days.  Friday afternoon I decided I would go for a run after work and just do a few since I'd been sitting at my desk all day.  I felt really good, and that resulted in doing the 7 miles I was supposed to do that morning, at around 8:17 average pace. I came inside to Jason working on one of his bikes and told him I thought the next day's race might be shot.  Not that I had designs on doing anything impressive, but in case I did...I probably needed to let that go.  I think it was worth it, though. 

Saturday morning the alarm clock went off at 4:00 am, but I didn't bother budging until the coffee pot beeped that my coffee was ready. We were in the car and headed to Bell Buckle by 4:30 and running by 7:00.  I felt pretty good, and I think the rain had cooled things off a bit.  The heat was not overly oppressive, but I did think the hills had grown since the previous year.  I did not have a lot of push so I just coasted along, finishing in 1:27, which is an 8:43 average pace.  I was 11th out of 61 in my age group.  

Sunday morning I attempted a run but my feet and legs and everything else said no. I got in 4 miles with the girls and that was it for the day.  Since Tuesdays and Thursdays are devoted to Bootcamp and cycling, I like to run on Sundays to increase the weekly mileage.  Nothing major, just something to kick start the week.

This morning I got up a little later than usual and got in 7 miles solo.  It felt like running through soup and my knee yelled at me for the first half mile, but it ended up being a good run once things stretched out and let go.  This afternoon I will swim and so starts another week of workin' it.  I'm not sure I'll reach 40 running miles again, but it is a good number to aim for with 5 days of running instead of 7. 

Upcoming events consist of the Firecracker 5k on July 4 (where I'm hoping for a 5k PR) and then begins a little series of triathlons with the Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon - intermediate distance, July 10th.  Until then, run, bike, bootcamp and swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment