|The Cardio Center at the University Fitness Center|
It also provides entertainment...or the desire to find it while running like a hamster in place. Here is what I entertained myself with today:
1. If you watch soap operas without sound, it looks like people just standing around talking to each other. There is the occasional hand motion or passionate stare, but mostly it is just talking... which I guess is what they are when there is sound...
2. I read once that if you read a magazine or book while you workout, you are not really getting the full benefit of the workout. So now when someone brings a magazine to their cardio workout, I feel like the know-it-all in my 3rd grade class and I want to tell them. I'm not sure if this applies to watching soundless soap operas, though.
3. Some people walk around without doing anything. The 3rd grade know-it-all in me also wants to understand this. They carry a towel and a water bottle as they mill about, but in the 35 minutes I spend on the treadmill, I don't see them do anything. Maybe they lost their magazine...?
4. It is really embarrassing that when I step off the treadmill, I am just as wet as if I got out of the pool. Air conditioning can be so deceiving. And no matter how cold the shower I take, I am still sweating as I get ready and leave the gym. This provides a good excuse to skip reapplying make-up.
5. There is a TV in the locker room. This alone confuses me, but the fact that it is set on the food network channel is also strange. I don't think that is particularly helpful. I'm thinking The Biggest Loser, So You Think You Can Dance, or Baywatch would be better choices for motivating workouts instead of promoting a mad dash to the grocery store for salmon and chocolate ganache.