Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rainy Running Revelry


Yesterday morning I stood up my running partner.  Flat out stood her up!  She drove to my house and waited on me to come outside for 15 minutes before going back home to do her run solo.  When I realized this, I was mortified!  I had totally forgotten we made Monday morning plans the week before, and I was so disappointed and frustrated with myself.

She was very sweet about it, though.  I apologized profusely and she said she was just glad I was okay and that she would come again next Monday.  Her name is Jane, by the way. 

Forgetting my morning running date (and lounging around in bed too long) meant it was the treadmill for me after work.  I would have planned it for lunchtime, but I was going to help my sister with her very first home school PE class (which was a total blast and I discovered some mean hula hooping skills in the process).

After work it was drizzly and 75 degrees.  As I drove to the gym, I changed my mind about the treadmill.  Since no lightning accompanied the drizzle and it was a little cooler than usual, I decided to go home and run outside. 

As I got dressed at home, the rain picked up.  Still no lightning, though, so I headed out anyway.  It turned out to be the best decision ever.  I had one of the best runs I have had in a long time.  My average pace was 8:17 with two of those miles being under 8 minutes.  It felt great and I was so excited to experience a run like that in August!

As summer prepares to give way to fall, my thoughts begin to turn once again to the marathon.  As I ran yesterday, I thought about how I'd felt at the beginning of the summer.  I had just run a SUPER hot marathon in April and I was ready for a break.  And even amidst the triathlon training, there was the feeling of constant striving, pushing and struggling that was wearing me down mentally and physically.  But once I decided to let go and do what I loved the most... I felt rested.  I was free to enjoy it for all the reasons I had always enjoyed it, and I slowly began to feel...ready.

That does not mean I'm going to start marathon training next week. It is still August after all, and despite this brief respite from the heat, it is not gone for good.  It simply means I'm ready to work on my base - I'm ready to think about marathon training.  I will continue working my way up and over 10 miles so that when I do start to train, my body is ready for the increase in mileage and speed.  And for the first time in 4 months, I am ready to think about these things.

It is a good feeling.  And my rainy day run helped quite a bit.  I consider it a gift.  After forgetting my planned run with Jane yesterday morning, I prayed, "I know there is a reason for everything, Lord, but I REALLY wish I had not forgotten this morning's run."  Maybe God had a gift He wanted to give me that day. A gift He knew I needed.  I like to think so anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment