Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tuesday's Treat

The favorite summer treat of the Reneaus...the delicious weekly dessert that is quick and fabulous and made with one of the superest of super fruits...BLUEBERRY CRISP!

Yeah, I get excited about this one because it is so fabulously wonderful.  There is nothing more scrumptious on this earth than a hot, right-out-of-the-oven blueberry crisp, with a cold scoop (or two) of frozen vanilla yogurt or ice cream.  Oh. My. Word.  It is quick and easy, which is why I have been able to master it.  It is also a yummy way to get in another serving of fruit each day - and not just any fruit.  Blueberries are one of the BEST fruits you can eat!

I got the recipe from the Better Homes cookbook, but I have modified it somewhat and that is the version I am including here.   When finished, it makes 4 servings so Jason and I can have it two nights. 

Here is what you need:

Fresh Blueberries - two small cartons or 3-ish cups
Square pan (I don't know the measurements, but it is square not rectangular)

1/2 cup regular rolled oats (I use more)
1/2 cup of brown sugar (I use just a tad more)
1/4 cup all purpose flour (depends on how much more oats I add)
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg or cinnamon (cinnamon is my fave and I eyeball it)
1/4 cup butter or margarine (I use light butter and melt it just a tad - 10 seconds)
1/4 chopped nuts or coconut (I haven't ever added this, but I bet it is good).

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Wash your blueberries and put them in the square baking dish.
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour onto blueberries and stir it around.  The original recipe calls for more, but this is all I use. When baked, the blueberries get very liquidy, so the flour helps hold them together.

In a medium bowl combine crisp ingredients (oats, brown sugar, all-purpose flour, butter and cinnamon) and stir until it is crumbly.  I usually heat up my butter about 10 seconds, otherwise this stirring-until-crumbly takes forever.  Sprinkle this mixture over your blueberries. 

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.  Add frozen vanilla yogurt or ice cream to make it over-the-top fabulous.  And enjoy this AMAZING, summer treat. 

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog yesterday and love it! This recipe looks great & I look forward to trying it after I visit the grocery. Thanks!

    I'm also a new runner and training for my first half-marathon in Sept and reading your post keeps me motivated. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandy! And welcome! That is great about your half-marathon training, and I'm honored to be helping with motivation. :)

    ReplyDelete