Saturday, April 28, 2012

Good Friends and Rosy Runs

This morning three of my dear running girls met me for a Run Through the Roses 10k course run.  This is one of our local races, and I love it, but it is a tough course (at least the second half is). I wanted to make sure I was not getting in over my head to have signed up for it (okay, and I also wanted to map out possible pit stop locations). I met Sarah, Kristen and Julia at 6:00 a.m. at the start and I was SO EXCITED!  I hadn't seen them in a while and I was looking forward to a longer run and catching up. 

They were so sweet and patient.  I pretty much set the pace and they stayed with me, not seeming to mind that it was a bit slower.  I needed two pit stops and they patiently waited for me both times.  It was so nice to run and chat like old times and the miles flew by despite running them at pregnancy pace.  The morning was cool enough to be comfortable and the knock-out roses were in full bloom.  When we got to mile 4 we hit the steady incline that breaks for a bit before the major climb which occurs around mile 5.4-5.8 of the course.  I ran as much of that as I could, walking the steepest part of the last big hill.  I told the girls they were free to run over it and I'd see them at the other side, but they waited for me at the top and we ran down together. 

It was a steep downhill run too so I held my belly and leaned back as I put on the breaks to run down.  Usually I just let it fly when I run down that hill but today breaks were necessary.  I completed 6.3 miles in 1:09 and I was thrilled!  I felt like I could have kept going...and I was tempted, but I knew I needed to rehydrate and get some breakfast (okay, and I needed another pit stop).  It was so reassuring to feel this little girl wiggle and move around shortly after the run which let me know she was okay and I hadn't overdone it. 

As always, it was the perfect way to start a Saturday morning.  I used to always start my weekends with the girls on an early morning run, but that has been rare since this 2nd trimester.  This morning was such a treat and I was grateful for them and their company along the way. 

Once I got home I hit the ground running (only not literally this time).  I wanted to get some laundry done, wash bedsheets, vacuum, steam the wood floors, bathe Chance, maybe join Jason at the pool for a swim later and go to the grocery store...and these days I have to quite literally seize the moment before I run out of steam.  When I do run out of steam, I'd like to feel good about crawling in bed, curling up under clean sheets and reading my new Jill Mansell book.

So now that breakfast is eaten, it is time to get busy!  Have a wonderful weekend, my friends!


2 comments:

  1. Great job on your run Jane! I'm doing that race this weekend. Thanks for the info on the big hill because I haven't looked at the course yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing RTTR? That is great! Look for me out there, it would be great to meet you face to face!

    ReplyDelete