I picture it. I imagine getting tired and pushing through it. I imagine feeling good enough to kick it up at mile 20. I imagine seeing the clock say what I want it to say and hearing Jason's cheer for me. I imagine holding pace and feeling strong. I make a strategy and prepare to stick to it.
But I have done very little mental training despite the fact that I would like to take a few minutes off my latest 3:45 finishing time. I'm not looking for another 13 minute leap, just a few minutes. My friend, Katie and I talked quite a bit about this on our run this morning. We are both facing a marathon this weekend, and for different and similar reasons we are unsure what to expect from ourselves.
Here is what I'm thinking:
My Doubt List
- I only got in a 15 miler and a 20 miler as far as long runs go. Usually I would get in more.
- Can I really expect another PR in just 2 months?
- I have not mentally prepared as I usually do...will that make a difference?
My Confidence Building List
- I was not used up after Mercedes. I felt pretty good for a 13-minute PR.
- I've been doing speed work and pushing my weekly runs hard.
- High mileage weeks despite few long runs.
- A good half-marathon in Seaside.
- The Andrew Jackson course is not as tough as the Mercedes Marathon course.
- Maybe I will be more rested for this one due to less intense training...
The latter list is the one on which I am trying to focus and it is the most fun to populate. Overall, I've been looking forward to this marathon because I simply like to run them, this one has history, and I am very excited to witness my dear friend, Shannon, run her first ever marathon. I have had the honor of being her training buddy, we've bounced ideas and strategies off each other, and I cannot wait to be there when she crosses that finish line.
So I guess there is nothing left to do except use these next few days to do some mental preparing, trust my training such as it is, and start the race. I'm hopeful, but also content with the current PR for now. So either way, I think a good time will be had by all and that will be my prayer!