Friday, August 19, 2011

The Untrained Triathlete

This weekend I will be participating in the Fall Creek Falls Triathlon, which was my very first Olympic distance tri last year.  I'm excited about doing this one again.  It is like a rematch.  I had a great time last year (experience, not finish time, although I wasn't complaining about that either since it was my first).  Fall Creek Falls is beautiful and the course (especially the run) showcases the very best parts. 

Since the Music City Triathlon this year, however, I have not been in the pool much (and by much, I mean maybe once or twice) and the cycling has been spotty as well.  I had gotten too caught up in finish times and training that I lost the fun aspect, so I allowed myself to chill out with the triathlon training and just do what I love.  Which is run.  And run.  And run.  A little weight training.  And lots of running.  Which is exactly how I like it.  I'm a runner who dabbles in the triathlon over the summer.  I just forgot for a while. 

So, as the Fall Creek Falls Triathlon approaches...I shake my head at my lack of training (swimming and cycling) and grin a little sheepishly wondering how in the world this one will go.  I had a lot of fun last year, so I am looking forward to that part.  But I'd be telling a tale if I didn't admit that despite my relaxed attitude toward my training the past few weeks, I'd still like to do well. 

On top of that, I did this crazy thing to my shoulder this morning.  I stretched, and all hell broke lose.  My alarm went off at 5:00am.  My plan was to get up in time to run more than the usual 2 miles before running with my No Boundaries group at 5:45 and then run 2 miles home, making for 5 or 6 miles before work.  I turned off my alarm and reached overhead, getting one good long stretch in before getting up.  When I let it go, my right shoulder started to hurt.  And then it started to hurt really bad.  I got up and took some ibuprofen thinking it would loosen up with movement.  But it didn't.  I couldn't even get dressed.  I quickly texted Julie and Julia to let them know they would have to lead the run without me, and grabbed an ice pack. 

I couldn't sit and I couldn't stand without pain.  I couldn't turn my head.  I may have uttered an expletive as Jason woke up and offered to rub icy hot on it. I let him and then proceeded to try and find a position that was comfortable.  I eventually drifted back to sleep.

Upon waking an hour later, I think it has improved somewhat.  It is still angry, but subdued.  When time allows, I will take more ibuprofen, add ice and/or heat, and ask Jason for another icy hot treatment (which makes me smell like toothpaste).  Good grief.  Be careful when stretching in the morning.  Apparently it is dangerous. 

So what does Fall Creek Falls have in store?  Who knows!  Beauty, for sure.  Fun, you know it.  A great weekend with Jason, no doubt.  But a good triathlon finish... well... we will see, won't we.  Have a great weekend, my friends, and do something you LOVE!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your tri @ Fall Creek Falls! My hometown is about 20 minutes from there so I've grown up going to the park. It is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete