Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tuesday's Treat

Today's treat is not really new, and you may laugh, but this holiday season was the first time I'd ever tried one.  And then I renamed it.  Today's treat is angeled eggs (also known as deviled eggs).  Yep, I had my very first deviled egg Christmas Eve and I LOVED it!

A while back, Katie shared her treat of boiled eggs.  So this just adds a little zing to that already great treat.  The recipe my sister used is below.

For 6 boiled eggs:
  • boil eggs, peel and cut in half
  • scoop out yoke and mix with the following ingredients:
    • 1/4 cup of mayo (I used light)
    • 1 tablespoon of vinegar (VERY good for you)
    • 1 tablespoon of mustard
  • add mixture back into egg halves and sprinkle with paprika
My mom said she likes to add sweet pickle relish instead of vinegar, so if you like that, there's another option.

So last night I was thinking of healthy things to bring to work for lunch and I decided to make some angeled eggs.  I made 3, which gave me 6 halves.  Three for today and three for tomorrow.  They are currently in the office fridge and I'd better go get them before the whole place smells like eggs (the downside to boiled eggs in the fridge).

If you are like me and somehow missed out on this southern tradition, give it a try.  You may find yourself surprised (as I was) to like it! Also, try floating around the new name as well, if you don't mind.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE them too, Jane!! No matter what they are called :) How did you never have them before?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea! They were at every church pot luck I ever attended. I guess I just never thought they'd be good. But you know how tastes change... :)

    ReplyDelete