Thursday, April 5, 2012

Do Not Cry in Target

I mentioned a few days ago that I am planning to hit the pool at the Y for some Aqua Zumba, Water Aerobics and good ole lap swimming.  Running is still thankfully pleasant, but I want to plan and be ready to enjoy some other cardio activities should it get too hot or too uncomfortable.  So, the hunt for the maternity swimsuit began.

Yesterday at lunch I went to the mall and hit up JCPenney to take back some dresses I ordered.  They didn't carry maternity swimsuits, but had a large regular section.  I decided I needed a tankini because I will probably need many pit stops while swimming just like I do when running, and a two piece is easier to get on and off.  I didn't see anything so I headed to Motherhood and tried on two there.  They were awful.  Beyond awful.  There was absolutely no support upstairs and even if there had been, I wasn't sure I wanted to show that much anyway.

Now, I know many women don't mind showing what they've got, and that is fine for them. I'd just rather not.  Even before pregnancy when I was in my best running shape, I preferred the sportier look over the sexy one. Surely I am not the only pregnant woman who feels that way!

I tried not to think about it as I drove back to work.  After work I went to Target.  I'd seen some sportier looking suits online so I figured those would be less revealing.  WRONG!  Not only did they also provide no support, they were so low cut!  What in the world?  Am I the only woman who just wants to swim comfortably without showing all the goods?  I stood there trying to imagine going out in public like that and I just couldn't.

And then... the hormones made themselves known...and to my horror I realized I was going to cry.  I quickly hung up my stuff, returned them to the attendant and walked as swiftly as I could out of Target.  "Do not cry in Target.  Do not cry in Target," became my mantra as I bit my lip and tried not to make eye contact with anyone. I hopped in the car, put on my sunglasses and let it all out. 

I got home and I was still going strong.  Jason was on his trainer, but he got off when he saw me come in.  You would have thought someone shot my dog.  I can't remember what exactly I said when I could finally take a breath, but if you are a female you can imagine the blathering on about weight, clothing, pregnancy, and how I must be an awful mom already since I'm worried about what I look like when this precious thing is growing inside.

Once I got myself together, we went into the kitchen to make dinner.  Jason stir fried some chicken he had cut into strips as I cut up some pineapple and strawberries for later.  I told him I'd wanted to handle this pregnancy thing with peaceful grace as my body went from being and looking like that of a runner to something else entirely.  And before I got pregnant I just knew I'd be able to do that because it would be so wonderful to be having a baby!  I knew I was a tad vain but I had no idea it would lead to crying in Target!  Can I blame this on pregnancy hormones? 

I'm feeling better today.  I slept like a rock from 9:00pm to 5:00am without waking up once (I only ate 2 cookies after my chicken, broccoli and cauliflower).  I did my weights and pilates with Chance acting as a backrest (he was probably still concerned) and then got ready for work. And yes, as I write my iced cafe mocha is here beside me.  I know I'm blessed.  Even if all designers of maternity swimsuits should be fired and possibly yelled at in a public forum, I am still able to put it in perspective (at least for the moment).  I've got a super sweet husband, a precious baby girl on the way, and for now I am healthy as an ox (I have no idea where that saying came from... are oxen very healthy?).

So what do I do about the swimsuit issue?  Jason suggested running clothes.  My sister said she has some bigger swimsuits she doesn't wear that might work. Should I just buy a bigger non-maternity swimsuit?  I don't have to look like a supermodel, but I'd like to be able to comfortably shake (not show) my groove thang in Aqua Zumba and swim laps in public. I'd also prefer not to spend a thousand dollars on this effort either. Thoughts?  Suggestions?   HELP!

10 comments:

  1. Go to Cyberswim on line they have a lot of suits with underwire bras and they are very stylish. Choose one you really like you are going to have many opportunities to wear it this summer. Some things are worth spending more to find one you like.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom. My co-worker said the exact same thing. It may be worth it to find something that works. I will check out cyberswim as well.

      Delete
  2. I think that it is definitely the hormones, as was crying over the "You'll be in my heart" video in your last post. Hormones make you cry over anything!!! You will definitely feel more sad and more happy over things than before. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and feelings because I can relate so much. Yes, you will get bigger, you will get more uncomfortable, and you will have to surrender more control of your body as the months continue. But no one (well, almost no one) welcomes these things. We accept them, because we know the outcome. I think it is even harder for athletes to accept these changes. I remember feeling the same way as you. But now, I can safely say that it's a season, Jane. In the grand scheme of things, a short-lived season. You will be back to running. You will not have that belly forever (I used to dream about taking my belly off, just for a run). And, believe me, you will miss being pregnant too (the kicking!!). Just hang in there! Oh! And swimsuit advice! Not much help there. I actually borrowed a suit from a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. That is what I need to hear, especially for those crazy moments. I know it is just a season in my mind but when emotion gets involved... it can be trouble. It already seems like it has gone so quickly! And it is nice to know others felt the same way so I don't feel like I'm such a horrible ogre! :)

      Delete
  3. I took water aerobics with Parker's pregnancy from day 1 till about 6 months because I had so many issues the first time around. I too found no suitable bathing suits.

    I wore running type shorts and a tank that is stretchy you would work out in and wore a sports bra under it that was the slick material not cotton. Worked perfectly and I was comfy.

    Hope that helps!! Don't mess with getting a maternity swimsuit just for working out is my opinion.

    -Bri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bri! I may end up doing that too! At least until (if) I find something else :)

      Delete
  4. I just saw your comment on Laurie's blog, and I had to come here to check out a fellow pregnant runner! :) And good news-you can blame just about EVERYTHING on pregnancy hormones! lol

    On the swimwear-I highly recommend Hapari.com. I first found them when I was pregnant, b/c I ran into the same problems you mentioned-maternity swimwear was awful! Not to mention expensive, especially for something I was only going to wear for a couple of months. And my regular tankinis weren't helping with the spillage up top once I was past the halfway mark in that pregnancy. Love their suits! Their tankinis are a little longer, especially the sport cut which has great coverage up top too. And despite wearing them through more then one pregnancy, mine have always retained their shape! I have to disclaimer that I kind of fell into working with them last year doing some modeling, so I'm sure this will look like a product plug, but I would totally recommend them even if that weren't the case. In fact the reason I started working with them is because I love their stuff so much. :) Anyway, totally worth checking out!

    From one pregnant runner to another-keep it up! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words, Catey! I will definitely check out Hapari.com!

      Delete
  5. Hey Jane - Old Navy has some inexpensive maternity tankinis that don't look too bad: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/outfit.do?searchCID=68131&oid=OUT19791

    Hang in there, my friend, sometimes you are just going to cry, it's not ungratefulness, just your body changing. You are going to be a wonderful mom!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I agree its the hormones!! I am not very emotional, or should I say I dont cry often but, when I was pregnant I was a mess and I was huge which made it worse. My sister gave me a suit but couldnt stand to wear it. You're doing great and Aqua Zumba sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete