Thursday, June 14, 2012

The VBS Volunteer

One of the lovely things about not working is that I can FINALLY participate in many of the activities my church has going, one of which is VBS (Vacation Bible School).  I have ALWAYS loved VBS.  When I was little, I looked forward to this week each summer filled with fun activities centered around an important Bible topic in an environment where I felt completely at home.  As I got older, I loved helping and sharing that experience with other kids.  When adulthood hit, however, I had to head to work and I was no longer able to help or participate.

Until now!  Mayfair's VBS theme was Soarin' - Everything is Possible with God (Mark 10:27).  I loved it.  Our church goes all out for VBS so the entire place looked amazing.  I helped my sister in the "Skydive Diner" and it was our job to make and provide the daily snack, which also happened to go with the theme.  We arrived each morning around 8:30 a.m. and began preparing for the first group of kids coming through at 9:30.  We had a total of 4 groups of elementary school aged kids, and I think we fed around 300+ a day (that includes preparing snacks for the pre-school group as well).


Each set of kids would come in, get their snacks, and then sit on the blue tarp placed on the floor to answer questions about that day's Bible verse and theme before watching a video that went along with it too.  And as I was busy behind the tables restocking the snacks for the next round of kids, I heard the daily theme and verse, and took it to heart as well.


Day 1 - No matter who you are, trust God.  
People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7.
Day 2 - No matter how you feel, trust God.  
Do not let your hearts be troubled, trust God. John 14:1
Day 3 - No matter what other people do, trust God.   
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. Isaiah 40:31

It sounded so simple, especially when shouted by 60 children seated in the room with me.  But the words were still powerful and true, and they encouraged this soon-to-be new mom who will also be "soarin'" in a plane herself at 33 weeks pregnant to watch her husband do his third Ironman.  The message was clear.  No matter WHAT, trust God.  Period.  It is sometimes easier said than done, but I decided to start right then and there trusting God with all the uncertainty, fear, change, hopes and dreams that filled my mind lately.

As for the snacks, we had sky surprises (a cup of popcorn with surprise M&Ms at the bottom), troubled hearts (a heart-shaped brownie, a strawberry, and a dollop of whipped cream), and cloud cups (blue jello with marshmallows or whipped cream on top).  To drink we had bottled water and capri suns.

Sky surprises!
Troubled  heart!
Cloud cups!
Each day we'd get that day's snack ready, set it out 4 times for the 4 groups, restock the waters and capri suns, and while that was going on there were usually some of us in the kitchen getting ready for the next day by baking huge pans of brownies or making large pots of blue jello.  We finished up every afternoon around 12:00.

Here's Suzy, stirring a pot of blue jello.
I had the absolute best time helping and hanging with my sis, getting to know and laugh with a group of sweet ladies also working in the Skydive Diner, and hearing the theme of the day from the kids and letting it speak to my own heart as well.  Who knew so many blessings could come from 3 simple days of being a VBS volunteer? 

3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Made me get teary! I loved reading it. Loved what you said about it. So glad you were there with me! We have many more VBS's in our future!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! Great scriptures! You look good Mama! I'll be praying for you and your hubs trip and his ironman :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is Asbury's VBS theme too, and we are going at the end of June. Looks like a good theme! I love your pics too. You're right, too, it is so fun to be able to do these types of things instead of working! :)

    ReplyDelete