Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Raising $3100 for a 31st Birthday

My good friend and soon-to-be mom, Jessica McNair, did something pretty amazing for her 30th birthday last year.  She and a bunch of her friends did 30 Random Acts of Kindness on her special day, and it was a huge success!  You can see the YouTube clip here, or read about it here.  As her 31st birthday approached, she began to think about what she could do this time and she came up with the idea of raising $3100.00 for local charities as her 31st birthday celebration. 

Each week from December 8, 2012 to February 16, 2013 (her birthday), she will highlight one of her 10 favorite charities.  When someone gives to one of these charities, they need to let Jessica know so that she can include that amount in her total and keep track of how close she is getting to her $3100.00 goal.

Here is an excerpt from Jessica's Facebook Event page:

"Each week I plan to draw awareness to one individual charity. Most of them are charities based right here out of North Alabama, while others are national, more well-known groups. Each day of the week, I will focus on ways for you to help or get involved with that specific charity by sharing little known facts, needs of that charity, and other information that the charity itself has asked me to relay to you, my friends!! I plan to make donations each week to the 10 charities, and I ask you to join me if/when you feel the urge to give. All the donation information you will need will be provided right here on my Facebook page (this will be my platform for the entire project). The links to websites are completely secure and you can have confidence in the safety and privacy of your donations.

I’ve learned that even a $5 or $10 donation can add up to a lot when everybody contributes. Of course, I don’t expect you to make 10 different donations (although, that would be very nice!) And I certainly understand if you decide not to donate at all. However, I do hope you will consider it if not now, later down the road. If and when you DO make a donation, please send me a private message to let me know the value of your gift. That way, I can keep up with it on the “Fundraising Thermometer!!” You can indicate at that time if you’d like your name associated with the gift, or if you’d like to remain anonymous. And please if you decide not to donate, utilize the information that I post about the charities to become more knowledgeable and aware of things going on in our community and world."

To me, this is the perfect time for Jessica to do something like this, when the spirit of giving is heightened in people's minds due to the Christmas season.  Maybe instead of buying another gift for a child or a spouse, a family could get together and give to a charity in great need this year!  I plan on participating and I hope you will too.  

To keep up with Jessica and the charities she highlights each week, join her Event Page on Facebook.  You can link to it here.  And she and I both thank you for taking the time to read this post and get involved! 

1 comment:

  1. You are SO wonderful, Jane! Thank you so much for highlighting my charity celebration! Love you!

    ReplyDelete