Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Firsts on the First

New Year's Day arrived and it was rainy and gray. I was tired from a late night with Eloise, but not overly so.  My right foot ached a little from the higher mileage week the week before and I just wasn't sure it was going to be much of a beginning to the new year.  I LOVE new beginnings, though.  A new year is exciting, but so is the first of every month, the first day of a new week, and even a new morning.  A fresh day, another beginning, a brand new page that hasn't been written on yet.

So despite the fact that the 1st of 2013 wasn't looking so great, I was determined to do something with it.  Jason and I started the day by putting our new Beaba Babycook to work and making Eloise some homemade pears and carrots.  Jason peeled and cut, and I steamed and pureed.  Eloise tried her carrots that night and gobbled them up, along with some fresh pears this morning.  I love feeding my baby girl good, healthy meals, and there is something satisfying about making them myself. 

Jason wanted to run at 2:00 p.m. so around noon I decided I'd better get out and go.  It wasn't too cold, around 52 degrees, but it was raining so I wore my shorts, a long sleeved shirt and a vest.  I set out at a slow trot, trying to run gently to ease my tight foot into it.  I wanted to get in at least 5 miles and I wanted to relax and enjoy it.

As I ran my foot loosened up but I held my slower pace.  It felt good.  The rain was light and steady but I was not cold.  As the rain dripped off the bill of my visor I reflected on the past year and on the past 5 months because my baby girl was exactly 5 months old on this first day of the year.  I looked at my watch and realized it was about this time 5 months ago that I was in the final stages of labor feeling tired, a little afraid and ready to meet the baby girl I'd been carrying for 9 months.

I kept running and remembering and day dreaming. For Christmas I received Scott Jurek's new book, "Eat and Run," which I was enjoying immensely and as I ran I thought about what I'd read so far.  I thought about my goals for the new year in regards to running, raising Eloise, being a good wife, and my spiritual self as well.

And I kept running.  When I got back to my neighborhood I had a little over 7 miles and I decided then and there to run 10.  My foot felt fine, my legs felt fine.  I knew I'd probably get tired at the end but I also knew I could handle tired.  I knew Jason would be going back to work the next day and I wasn't sure how I'd get a run in or what kind of run it would be so today was the day.  And I was already out in the rain, soaked through all my clothes, so I figured I might as well make it worthwhile.

I celebrated the new year and my baby girl's 5 month old birthday by running my first 10 miler since she was born.  I finished in 1:37, so about 9:41 overall pace.  I was pleased with it as I took my sodden shoes off at the door. I was tired but pleasantly so.  I took a quick shower since I was so drenched, changed into some dry clothes and rocked my baby girl to sleep.

Despite how the day looked at the beginning, it turned out to be a great start to the new year.  I hope to celebrate many more great moments with my baby girl and sweet husband, and many more good, strong runs as well.  I have some big goals this year and while I know you don't always get to plan how things go, I would like to set a few goals and work toward them anyway.  I'm excited about 2013 and I truly enjoyed my very first day of it.

Happy New Year, my readers and friends!  I pray wonderful blessings on all of you and some great new beginnings as well!

Eloise enjoying her first homemade carrots and celebrating her dad's team!

No comments:

Post a Comment