Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Slushy in My Kitchen

Okay, I'm probably going to get cocky soon about my new found prowess with the blender... but don't worry, I'll have a catastrophe soon enough that will bring me back to earth.  For now, however, let me share my amazing success with the Watermelon Lime Frosty I just made (although I think it is more like a slushy).

I drank most of the blender before snapping a pic...

Another pretty one!
I found the recipe on Pinterest (of course), but it originally (as far as I know) comes from Daydream Kitchen and here is the link.

The recipe is as follows:
  • 3 cups watermelon, should be cubed and frozen
  • 1 banana, ripe, peeled and frozen
  • 2 tbsps agave or maple syrup
  • juice and zest from 2 limes
  • 1/2 cup water
I only made 1 minor modification that I think you might want to consider - I used only 1 tablespoon of light agave syrup (60 calories).  That is sweet stuff and there is already sweetness in the watermelon and banana.  Let me just say this is a DELICIOUS summer day treat!  I had just run 8 miles in the most humid morning air, and this slushy was perfection.  I think I will be making this all summer!

Let's talk calories for those of you who keep up. 

Watermelon (I used 1 wedge sliced) - so I'm estimating 90 calories
1 banana - 90 calories
1 tbsp of agave syrup - 60 calories
2 limes - 40 calories

That is a total of 280 calories for the WHOLE blender full - and that is more than an 8 oz glass (and yes, I consumed the whole blender... again...oh dear).

So maybe I need to head back out with Eloise and the stroller later... but it was worth it! Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment